Relational Coaching with Ianto.
As a mentor and a coach my approach is person centred with a commitment to walk alongside you and best support you on your life's journey.
I have over thirty five years of lived experience transformational and therapeutic work.
I am passionate about helping others to live more fully, and in healthy relationship to self, other and to life.
My coaching and mentoring practice aims to help bring out the best in the people I work with, so that together we can help to bring about a better world.
Personally, professionally and more widely in the world
I am particularly interested and experienced in men's issues, male mental health, teenage young men, early adulthood, supporting parents of teens (Mums, Dads, and Carers) and women and girls.
What is Relational Coaching:
Coaching is a unique kind of relationship that can help to grow more trust, hope and faith
in yourself and others, while holding you in positive regard.
It is a place of cultivating healthy relating and to be in inquiry where we become interested in what is present in both profound and everyday ways.
A core part of my practice and approach is deep listening practice, and holding you in positive regard with acceptance of who you are. This can help to develop a clear and authentic orientation to how you have arrived at this place in your life, and inquiring with you about what is emergent and how best to move forward.
I will not be trying to fix or rescue you, or to give you unwanted advice. I wont be running inappropriate processes or having a fixed idea of how things 'should be' going.
I may not be the best or only person for you at this time, which we can also discuss as I can offer recommendations and sign posting to other people and organisations.
What can coaching and mentoring do for me?
It maybe you are in a challenging life situation in regard to yourself or other people?
Or dealing with ongoing issues that are painful?
You may want to have a clearer sense of your life's purpose, and meaning?
Or seeking direction in life and need some guidance and support on making decisions?
Guidance and re-sourcing in your leadership roles.
Organisational and team coaching, particularly in the third sector where I have 20 years experience.
Coaching and mentoring can offer to support you
I have actively engaged with being coached an mentored throughout my life, seeking out a variety of people for different perspectives and help at times.
My work with people continues to provide me with opportunities to pass on what I have learned and benefited from.
Do you want to finds out more? Book your free first 40 minute introduction session which can be by phone or zoom.
We can discuss your needs, find out about each other, arrange the paperwork and get started.
Let me know when you fill in the contact form above, or message me on 07799472170.
I generally run 90 minute sessions (this can be discussed and adjusted to your needs). Usually these start out regularly, once a week, and space out as you get on top of things, then drop to occasionally as needed. An initial agreement of frequency and the number of sessions (like once a week for 6 to 8 weeks) helps. This can be renewed, or stopped at any time. You are in control.
Zoom or phone - £50
In person £60 ( I have a garden yurt in Stroud, it is a lovely space.)
Walk and talk / natured based practices. - £60
Texting and PMs - £10 / week -
This is if you need more frequent contact and support. We can message or do 5 - 10 minute "How's it going?" calls at prearranged times.
I offer coaching and mentoring - they are two different approaches:
What's the difference between mentoring and coaching?
Being a mentor
A mentor is someone who shares their knowledge, skills and/or experience, to help another to develop and grow.
Being a Coach
A coach is someone who provides guidance to a client on their goals and helps them reach their full potential.
How coaching and mentoring can help you navigate life's challenges and support you to do even better!
The first significant area of development for most participants is self awareness and self knowledge. This is a foundational skill for both personal and professional development.
Once we develop ways to embody, to notice, and reflecting the practice of knowing ourselves more deeply we can then work to cultivate a deeper insight into what you need, what you want, what your challenges and gifts are and future areas of growth and transformation.
By cultivating self-awareness, and ways to effectively reduce stress, we can then develop more tolerance of the challenges and difficulties in life.
Through learning some basic resilience practices we can become more able to adapt to changing circumstances
In turn, this also decreases the likelihood of burnout and can help improve mental health with a deeper sense of life satisfaction. Through forming a more congruent and authentic picture of who you are are in your becoming, this awareness can inform you as you navigate life's challenges and start to orientate your life more consciously and functionally.
With personal awareness and transformational practices you are more able to understand the motivations and underlying commitments of other people, benefiting from reduced conflict and improved confidence in boundaries and decision-making.
This can help improve time management and being able to work in more healthy relationships with others.
As well as becoming more aware of human nature and how inter-relationships are operating in the more than human world too.
The main components of self-efficacy are learning through another’s experiences and being affirmed by people you trust. These factors are key building blocks in the coaching relationship. Creating strategies to achieve goals and celebrating those successes with a coach is a prime way to build confidence and trust in oneself.
Any goals or intentions that we work with together may be action based, relational or well-being based- you set your intentions and objectives as this content is on your terms.
Effective communication skills can help you in all aspects of life — both in familial relationships and professionally in the workplace. To be able to clearly communicate thoughts and feelings has it's own positive impact on stress — as this is most certainly exacerbated by dysfunctional communication.
The communication practices and tools I work with include assertiveness, exploring options, practicing difficult conversations, Learning and practicing authentic and compassionate communication ( removing blame and shame language).
The language of the body- our whole truth.
Practicing being in integrity - as communication happens on many levels not just verbal.
6. Work-life balance
With coaching, I can help you to take time to inquire and to set your own priorities
Our work together can help implement clearer boundaries and to make this practice a greater part of your life, that can empower you to maintain a healthy work-life balance.
This can lead to more job and life satisfaction and can be attributed to both improved self care and living in greater alignment with your passion, your goals, intentions and aspirations.
While growing meaning and purpose in your life.
7. Increased mental health
Coaching and mentoring cab help to improve your mental health and help to practice self regulatory, self soothing, relational ways of promoting a healthy life for your selves . It can also then help you support others in your life, increase life satisfaction, living on purpose, and social inter actions and connections.
There is a lot of current research showing that often we can get stuck as we habitually follow predetermined patterns.
Opening up our internal apertures and exploring wholeness can help you to become more adaptable to deep change and uncertainty. More flexible, more available to what is present and less chaotically reactive, helping you to make a more considered approach to changes and challenges.
Getting clear on our core values, core principles, and nurturing our vision for the future all help us orientate better to our life and our place in the bigger scheme of things, Getting clear of life purpose is an ongoing journey of becoming and evolving, It is not a final destination so thus practices can help you throughout life as you grow and change.
Applications and referrals.
- Use the contact form above or click on the registration button.
- Or text me to make an arrangement for a phone call on 07799472170
- We have an initial free conversation, by phone or in person to see if we are a good match.
- You can book a free 30 minute introduction session, or sign up for a session or a series of sessions.
- We will discuss the frequency, how long for and make an agreement together.
- Use the Contact form to make an initial enquiry
- To make a full application or a referral for someone else (under 18s or vulnerable adults), click the link on the applications and referrals button.
- Once you are ready, I will send you an agreements form by email for you to sign (or if you don't do email just let me know)
- Online by zoom
- In person - in my garden yurt which is located near to the centre of Stroud.
- Nature walk and talk - we can get outdoors if that suits.
- Coaching support between our arranged contact time- I can offer brief check ins by messaging and phone. This is by arrangement and involves a slightly higher charge rate to cover for this extra time.
Other help and support you may need.
I may suggest a few things ie sign posting, homework, referrals to other professionals, organisations, services, and referrals in the case of safeguarding issues.
What's my experience
- I am a Co founders of Journeyman UK https://journeymanuk.org/ A National based charity providing community based mentoring for teenage young men., with annual large scale events, parenting courses and mentoring trainings.
- I co design and deliver Journey Man UK mentoring trainings and 'Understanding Young Men' courses. I am a Senior Mentor, Group Co ordinator and one of the Rites of Passage leaders. I have been a JmanUK trustee and am currently Central Coordinator, a mentor coach, local group leader and teenage mentor,
- I am co founder and Directors of Pathways to Ventures CIC along with Liz Terry- we are currently working in partnership with https://globalenvironments.org/
- I am involved with the Mankind Project UK&IRE, attended many of their leadership trainings over the last 15 years, and staffed their Rites of Passage event numerous times. I founded the Stroud MKP i group which is a thriving local group.
- I am a qualified Homeopath, have trained in counselling and received mentoring training from Boys to Men USA.
- I am experienced in Community arts and well being work and I am passionate about equality and social and environmental justice
- Some of the key influences in my practice included using the Archetype map, Mindfulness, Appreciative inquiry, Critical Thinking, Embodiment practices, Playfulness and humour, Spiral dynamics. a deep curiosity about 'what is really going on here', co creating a situation where it is safe enough to take some risk.
- I am passionate about living in regenerative ways - inner and outer.
- I have attended a wide variety of personal development, mindfulness, and therapeutic courses over several decades. I also keep myself up to date with current psychological research with trauma informed practice
- I am a Father of two wonderful young people who are now in the 20s and have informally adopted several other young people along the way.
Some other things about me.
- I was born 1960 and raised in Manchester and my parents were socially engaged, working class, intelligent and creative people.
- I attended a Comprehensive Secondary School which was very multi cultural.
- In my early adult life I studied Social Sciences at University in Manchester and then moved to Hereford to train as a potter as a change of heart drew me from academia and social work to a more nature based way of life out of the city and to pursue my creativity,
- I then worked as a community artist, and later as a potter. During that time I travelled overland to India in the mid eighties.
- On returning to the UK I then worked at the Centre for Alterative Technology in Machynelleth helping to build the a water powered cliff railway top station out of green oak. Then continued on their building team for 5 years.
- Along with Liz my wife we moved to Pembrokeshire to help set up an eco village - a 12 volt eco community where our children were born.
- Since then I have been an eco builder and carpenter, and yurt maker. During my professional life working with practical skills I have coached and mentored many young apprentices.
- I worked at Wynstones School (a Steiner/ Waldorf School) where I managed the buildings, land and estates for 10 years. I also got involved with teaching pottery and working one to one with some of the children and young people who were not able for a variety of reasons to engage within classroom activities.
- During these years I have maintained a keen interest in social issues, politics, socioeconomics, race, gender, ecological living, the nature of being human and our inter relatedness as nature.
- Over the last 20 years I have studied martial arts - Shintaido, karate and Tai Chi,
- I am a father of two now adult children, 24 and 28. I like outdoor adventuring and being by the sea, in the mountains and amongst the forests and rivers.
- I have a special connection to the wilds of West Wales where I lived for two decades.
What people say...
Integrity, authenticity, no bullshit, togetherness. I am a single mum...supported us with his warm grounded compassion....is gifted with qualities .....enabling me to fell safe, keep hope, work through a heart break, inspire sovereignty and insight, suggest positive actions that work....he has the ability to bring fun.....I am immensely grateful.... A.
Having run my own business for 13 years, and having recently been acquired by a $50bn global business, I have been lucky enough to work with some incredible coaches from multiple different countries and backgrounds. Ex-entrepreneurs, Business School Professors, leading psycho-analysts, authors...they have all been brilliant 'investments' into personal development, but no one compares to Ianto in terms of his ability to read what is really going on for you, help you cut to the chase and get to a path forwards. His intuition, intellect and insight is unrivalled. Try him, I 100% guarantee it will be a game changer. B.
Ianto's coaching has felt a sitting with the gentle extra sensory perceptions of wise eldership. There is so much safety to approach the edges. Often these edges feel to dangerous, but not with Ianto. From his questions and reflections I have felt more able and just more. I've also felt like tenderised and tending heart is deeply listening. This is a gift from another is perhaps the most beautiful gift we can give one another. In receiving this gift another world of her-stories rather than my history and then another world of futures becomes possible. Ianto makes something I hadn't imagined possible. I thank the divine for Ianto's life. S.
Ianto has connected with my son, as a mentor, for some years now through JourneymanUk.
I experience Ianto as an excellent role model for R and he has worked very hard to build up trust with my son. My son talks often to Ianto about his emotions and challenges and Ianto is a great listener and coach to him. He will also gently challenge and prompt him if he thinks this would be useful and doing just that has helped R to motivate himself and to make healthier and wiser choices.
Ianto is extremely knowledgeable, experienced and trained in supporting young men......
My son did have a period of around 5 months of being very ill with mental and emotional health difficulties and our family was in crisis. Ianto has actually been an absolute godsend. He has basically provided emergency support and has played an enormous role in the journey of our son back into better and improved health. He was often on call even into the night, he coached R several times a week, he took him to martial arts classes, he helped us to get R out of the house which was, at times, impossible for us to do. Ianto is flexible, accommodating, and communicates clearly and well. For our family, he and JourneymanUK are a lifeline and, although our son is recovering well now, we are relieved and grateful to know that he is in the background and willing to step in with support as and when needed.
'you are saving lives' - a teenage mentee
'I really value our time, it always bring me insights' - a teenage mentee
'a wise inspiring elder' - journeymanuk mentor
'authentic, straightforward, challenging and deeply caring' - parent